I was inspired to do this straight from this picture from Pinterest.
Confession: I do not own (or have any clue how to use) a sewing machine. I have never really embroidered before.
Lately I keep coming across amazing and very modern embroidery ideas that I love. I love this project because it is great for a beginner and because it is such a fun and current twist on traditional embroidery.
What I used:
A 6 inch embroidery hoop (which was surprisingly only $1)
Embroidery thread and needle
What I did:
1. I typed Lyla into Word in a font I liked in a few different sizes and printed it.
2. I cut out the letters and arranged them where I wanted them on the fabric. I then traced around the letters with a fabric pencil.
3. Next, I stitched around the letters with a simple stitch.
4. I then went back and added lots of different stitches around the outside of the letters. This is a great project for a beginner like me.
5. After the Lyla part was complete, I went back and sketched in the dandelion. I used a stem stitch for the stem (using a video tutorial from Needle 'n Thread).
6. I then finished the rest of the dandelion and added a few white stitches.
I am going to use the hoop as a frame and hang it in Lyla's nursery as is.