Ever since I saw this tutorial for chevron tip nails from Dana at The Wonder Forest, I’ve been playing around with all kinds of color combinations. I love her tutorial because it’s so simple and easy to do. But since I wanted to use 3 colors, this tutorial is a little more complicated. (It’s still pretty simple and you don’t have to be a skillful nail artist or anything.)
I love this color trio right now: fuchsia, gold, and navy. You can choose any 3 colors you want.
What you need: Three shades of polish, a top coat, and some tape and scissors.
What you do:
1. Start with the bottom color (the gold). Paint all of your nails gold. Since you will be doing a lot of layering, it’s best to use just one coat when possible. Sometimes you will need two.
2. Cut out 5 triangles from tape (right angles work best). I used blue painters tape which worked well. Washi tape or scotch tape would also work. If you use tape that is too sticky, it might peel off the bottom layer.
3. Make sure that the first layer is COMPLETELY dry or it will peel. Put the pieces of tape on all of the nails on one hand. Now paint over the whole top of the nail with the second shade (fuchsia). Remove the tape before the polish starts to dry to keep it from attaching and peeling.
4. Use the same pieces of tape once again after the second layer is completely dry. I placed the triangle tip just under the edge of the nail. Now paint over the top of the nail with your third color (navy). Again, take off the tape before the polish has a chance to dry.
5. Make sure that the polish is all completely dry, and then paint your nails with a clear top coat. If you skip this step, your nails will be bumpy and will chip and peel more easily.
Bonnie @ Uncommon says
These are fantastic Rachel!! How clever and they look amazing!!
They do look super cool!
Bethany Lee says
So pretty! I might just use this for back to school… & I <3 blue, pale pink, & green 🙂
Ashley Calder says
LOVE this colour combo! So fun! I tried a tape mani for the first time last week — blue rays on gold — and it was not as hard as I thought it would be. Def need to try chevs, now!
Emily @ Cinnamon Design Studio says
Looks great! I am digging chevron so much lately.
Rose Jess says
painters tape, What a great idea. I will have to try that!
Cherished Bliss says
Seriously adorable! I so wish Addison would let me paint her toes… maybe I can try while she's sleeping on day, lol
Nat and Holly says
These are so cool! Now, if only I had nails that I could actually paint! haha! #needtostopbitingmynails
This post was a while ago, but whats the fuschia polish? It's super pretty
It's a great color. It is Maybelline Color Show polish, called fuschia. It looks more like purple in the bottle.