I love this project, because you probably already have everything you need on hand, and you can easily make them on the sofa while watching something on TV.
What you need:
1. Cardstock (I used textured card stock like this(Spectrum Cardstock), but you could also use standard like this (Cardstock Starter Kit)
2. A Pencil and Eraser
3. A Thumb Tack
4. Scissors or a Paper Cutter
5. Double Sided Tape
* Optional: Templates or Stencils for the Design
What you do:
1. Lightly sketch a simple design on the front center of a piece of cardstock. I really like the way that the textured paper looks. Remember that you are drawing on the side of the paper that will be showing.
2. Put your paper onto a piece of Styrofoam or foam board and start punching holes with a thumb tack along your design. Be careful to not poke two holes too close together to prevent tearing. This actually takes a lot less time than it looks like.
3. Continue making holes until you have dotted all along your design.
4. Go back and erase the pencil marks with a good eraser. Be careful and gentle and do not press the paper down against a hard surface, or the holes will close back a little bit.
5. Cut the paper into strips. I made tall versions at first, and then some shorter versions. The tall ones were 6.5″ x 11″ and the short ones were 4″ x 11″.
6. Wrap your cardstock around a cylinder (I used a large candle) and secure it with double sided tape. I found that the double sided tape was definitely strong and secure enough for this project.
These could pose a fire hazard if you just place them directly around a burning candle. I would highly recommend small flameless candles, or votive candles placed inside glass votive holders.
I love how these lanterns look light up with candles. They are also cute during the day when the candles aren’t lit.
These were so much fun to make, I want to make more with other designs and patterns on them. A monogrammed letter would be especially cute for a wedding.
What design would you like to make?