I’m so happy to be here today sharing a project in the Craft Stash Bash. I’m Carolyn from homework and today I’m sharing one of my favorite stash busting projects. Even if you don’t have a surplus of crafting supplies, you probably have several old t-shirts on hand.
Did you know that with old t-shirts you could make t-shirt yarn? Once you make the yarn, you can knit or crochet fun projects with it. Don’t know how to knit or crochet? That’s okay – you can braid the yarn to make these fun coasters.
To make these coasters, all you need are old t-shirts and a needle and thread.
Here’s the how-to:
- Cut up the t-shirts into strips by cutting the t-shirt from the bottom into a continuous circle until you have a desired length.
- The strips for these coasters were approximately 1 yard.
- Braid the strips and tie off with thread.
- Roll the braid into a circle and stitch the bottom side together.
- Tuck the end under the bottom side and stitch securely.
- If you have the time, t-shirts and patience, you can keep the circle going and make a rug.I don’t have any of the above so I’m stopping at coasters.
Once you get the hang of braiding and rolling the t-shirt yarn, you can make other interesting projects, like this bowl.
To make a bowl, start by making a circle like you did for the coaster. Once you have the bottom done, form the sides by stacking the braid instead of laying it flat. You’ll want to stitch the piece as you form the sides of the bowl.