Living in Florida, I’ve ended up melting my favorite chap stick (Burt’s Bees) in the car too many times to count. Usually I try to set it upright to cool, and hope it resettles the right way, but somehow it’s never the same. So when I saw this DIY lip gloss tutorial, I thought it would be a great use for my melted chap stick.
What you need:
1. A metal ladle or measuring cup (You could also use a small glass measuring cup)
2. Your favorite chap stick (melted or brand new)
4. Lip Stick or Eye Shadow (for color)
5. Small containers (I found the awesome little containers that I used in the paint aisle of the craft store. They’re marketed for storing paint samples, but they are perfect little lip gloss holders, and so many other things. Plus it was only a couple of dollars for a pack of 12.)
6. Boiling water or an open flame/source of heat
What you do:
1. Scrape out all of the chap stick from the tube and the lid and put it in your measuring cup.
2. Add a little bit of lipstick for color. Add some Vaseline. Use at least as much as the chap stick and lip stick combined. This makes the lip gloss creamier.
3. Melt the ingredients. There are a lot of ways to do this. You could probably microwave them all together, but sometimes microwaving things changes their chemical makeup, plus it’s difficult to know when it’s ready. I melted it like you heat up a baby’s bottle. Just hold the measuring cup over a small pot of boiling water. Let the cup sit in the water, but don’t let any water get into the cup. You could also hold the cup over a candle or open flame. It melts really quickly.
4. Stir the mixture together so that the color is even.
5. Pour it into your little containers. Let it cool on the counter or in the fridge.