These little donuts are a great project for someone new to polymer clay. They even look good enough to eat. I made one for my 3 year old daughter Lyla, who especially loves the sprinkles, but I may have to make a chocolate one for myself.
What you do:
1. Roll out a long line of clay. You will have to knead the clay for a while until it is soft and easy to use. Connect the ends to make a circle. Smooth the line where the two ends are connected.
2. Use your roller to gently flatten the clay. If you’re not happy with the shape of your donut, try again. I didn’t want the necklace to be too heavy, so I made the donut pretty thin – about a quarter of an inch. The entire donut is about 2 inches in diameter.
3. Roll out a flat piece of clay in the color you want your icing to be. I used a light pink. Set your donut on top of the icing and gently trace an outline of your donut.
4. Cut out the shape of your icing. Make sure it is a little bit smaller than your donut. I used some polymer clay tools, but you could also just use a kitchen knife. Just make sure that once you use a tool with polymer clay that you designate it as a clay tool, and don’t use it to eat with again.
5. Smooth the edges of your icing, and place it on top of your donut. Press down a little bit to make sure the icing is secure. Start making little sprinkles for decoration.
6. Decorate your donut with sprinkles. Gently press down on the sprinkles to make sure they stick to the icing.
7. Bake your project according to the instructions on your clay. (Each brand of clay has slightly different instructions, but it is something simple like 15 minutes at 275). Let your pendant cool before you handle it. Paint a coat of glaze on top of your donut, icing, and sprinkles. It will give your project a polished look, as well as help make sure that the tiny sprinkles will stay adhered to the donut. Flip the donut over and glue the jewelry piece to the back. Don’t use a hot glue gun, because it won’t stick well to the metal. I’d recommend E6000 Craft Adhesive, but super glue should work as well. Attach your pendant to your chain, and enjoy!