It is so simple to turn a sheet of scrapbook paper into a gift bag. You don’t even need a template, or a ruler, and you can make it any size and shape that you want.
What you need:
1. Scrapbook paper
2. Glue stick
7. A single hole punch
What you do:
1. Start with a large piece of scrapbook paper (I used 12×12). Find a box around the house that is the size and shape of the bag you want to make. I used a box of spaghetti for one, and macaroni for the others. Fold the scrapbook paper around the box as if you are wrapping a gift. Don’t tape the paper to the box. Glue the edges together. (I added a couple of pieces of tape to the inside seam for extra support.)
2. Fold one end of the paper as if you are wrapping the edge of a present. This will be the bottom of the gift bag.
3. Use a glue stick on every fold of paper. I used a little tape for extra support.
4. Now remove the box from inside and pinch the sides of the bag to crease in the middle. You will be left with a little triangle on each side. You can fold the bottom over for easier storage.
5. Trim the top of the bag to whatever height you want the bag to be. I used fun scissors.
6. Punch little holes and attach ribbon handles. I also measured out a small rectangle of cardboard (a cereal box works great), and glued it to the bottom inside of the bag to make the bottom a little sturdier.
This is my favorite kind of project. Simple. Cheap. Quick. Useful. Fun.
Mary-Sweetwater Style says
These bags are soo cute…gotta try them. I am pinning this. Since great minds think alike, I thought you might enjoy this post with my little gift bag tutorial 🙂
Thanks, Have a Wonderful weekend!
Debra Kapellakis says
That is a wonderful idea. I love that it uses paper that I already have. Also tools and bits of ribbon that I can use.
This is an awesome idea… I pinned it I liked it so much..
Thanks tons! =)
Um. Genious. Thanks so much for this great idea! I LOVE it. I'll definately be using it and linking back to you! Thanks!
Amanda @ The Little Giggler says
I have to try this! Great idea!
Jamie B says
I LOVE your gift bags…how creative! I love that your instructions are so well written and easy to understand and I love the illustrative photos! I hope it's okay, I couldn't resist featuring your cute gift bags in a paper crafts round-up I just finished. You can see it here:
Thank you so much for sharing 🙂
Wow! Using a box to have the right shape is fantastic!!!! Thank you so much! 🙂